Bogor Botanical Gardens Bogor Botanical Gardens or is a large botanical garden located in the city of Bogor, Indonesia. The extent of 87 hectares and has 15,000 species of trees and plant collections.
Today visited the Bogor Botanical Gardens as a tourist, especially on Saturday and Sunday. In the vicinity of the Bogor Botanical Gardens are spread scientific centers namely Herbarium Bogoriense, Bogor Zoological Museum, and REFERENCES.
Bogor Botanical Garden was originally a part of the ‘samida’ (artificial forests or parks artificial) that most do not already exist in the government of Sri Baduga Maharaja (King Siliwangi, 1474-1513) of the Kingdom of Sunda, as stated in the inscription Batutulis. Artificial forests were designated for the purpose of preserving the environment as a place to preserve seeds of rare wood. In addition it also made samida samida similar on the border with Bogor Cianjur (Forest Ciung Vanara). The forest is then allowed after submission of Sunda Kingdom of Banten Sultanate, until the Governor-General van der Capellen build a vacation home in one corner in the middle of the 18th century.
In the early 1800s Governor-General Thomas Stamford Raffles, who inhabit the Bogor Palace and have a great interest in botany, interested in developing the Bogor Palace yard into a beautiful garden. With the help of botanists, W. Kent, who helped build Kew Gardens in London, Raffles turn the courtyard into a classic English-style garden. This is the beginning of the Bogor Botanical Gardens in shape now.
Olivia Raffles Monument
In 1814 Olivia Raffles (wife of Governor-General Thomas Stamford Raffles) died of illness and was buried in Batavia. As the preservation, monument for him was established in the Bogor Botanical Gardens.
The idea began with the establishment of the Botanical Gardens of Abner, a biologist who wrote a letter to the Governor-General GAGPh. van der Capellen. The letter expressed his desire to ask for a piece of land that would be a useful garden plants, where teacher education, and collection of plants for the development of the other gardens.
Prof. Caspar Georg Karl Reinwardt is one German who moved to Holland and became a scientist botany and chemistry. He was then appointed as minister of agriculture, arts, and science in Java and beyond. He is interested in investigating the various plants used for treatment. He decided to collect all these plants in a botanical garden in the city of Bogor, which was then called Buitenzorg (from the Dutch language, which means “do not have to worry”). Reinwardt also a pioneer in the field of making herbarium. He became known as a founder Herbarium Bogoriense.
In May 18, 1817, Governor-General Godert Alexander Gerard Philip van der Capellen was officially founded with the name of the Bogor Botanical Gardens Buitenzorg s’Lands Plantentuinte. Its establishment was initiated by putting the first spade in the earth swing Pajajaran as a sign of the construction of the vineyard development, whose implementation led by Reinwardt own, assisted by James Hooper and W. Kent (from the famous Kew Gardens in Richmond, England).
About 47 hectares of land around the former presidential palace in Bogor and samida be the first land for botanical gardens. Reinwardt became its first director from 1817 until 1822. This opportunity is used to collect plants and seeds from other parts of the archipelago. Bogor immediately became the center of agriculture and horticulture development in Indonesia. In those days life is estimated about 900 plants grown in the orchard.
Reinwardt in 1822 returned to Holland and was replaced by Dr. Carl Ludwig Blume take inventory of the collection of plants that grow in the garden. He also compiled the first catalog of the garden which were recorded as many as 912 species (species) of plants. Implementation of development of this garden was halted due to lack of funds but then started again by Johannes Elias Teysmann (1831), an expert in the palace gardens Governor-General Johannes van den Bosch. With the assistance of Karl Justus Hasskarl, he made arrangements planting collections by grouping according to the tribe (family).
Teysmann later replaced by Dr. Rudolph Herman Christiaan Carel Scheffer in 1867 became director, and followed later by Prof.. Dr. Melchior Treub.
The establishment of the Bogor Botanical Gardens can be said to initiate the development of science in Indonesia. From here was born a few other scientific institutions, such as the Bibliotheca bogoriensis (1842), Herbarium Bogoriense (1844), Cibodas Botanical Garden (1860), Laboratory Treub (1884), and the Museum and Laboratory of Zoology (1894).
On May 30, 1868 Bogor Botanical Gardens officially separate the management with the Bogor Palace pages.
At first, this garden will only be used as an experimental garden for plantation crops that will be introduced to the Dutch East Indies (now Indonesia). But in its development is also used as a container of research scientists of that era (1880-1905).
Bogor Botanical Gardens is always experienced significant growth under the leadership of Dr. Carl Ludwig Blume (1822), JE. Teijsmann and Dr. Hasskarl (the time of Governor General Van den Bosch), J. E. Teijsmann and Simon Binnendijk, Dr. R.H.C.C. Scheffer (1867), Professor. Dr. Treub Melchior (1881), Dr. Jacob Christiaan Koningsberger (1904), Van den Hornett (1904), and Prof. Ir. Koestono Setijowirjo (1949), which is the first Indonesian who was a lead research institution with international standards.
At the time of the leadership figures that have been made cataloging activity on the Bogor Botanical Gardens, a complete listing of collection Cryptogamae plants, 25 species of gymnosperms, 51 species and 2200 species Monocotyledonae Dicotyledonae, business recognition of important economic crops in Indonesia, collecting plants useful for Indonesia (43 types, including vanilla, palm oil, quinine, gutta-percha, sugarcane, cassava, maize from America, ironwood from Palembang and Kalimantan), and develop internal institutional Botanical Gardens are:
* Laboratory of Botany
* Garden Experiment
* Laboratory of Chemical
* Pharmaceutical Laboratory
* Branch Botanical Gardens in Sibolangit, Deli Serdang and at Purwodadi, Pasuruan
* Photography and the Library Administration
* Establishment of the Fisheries Office and the Academy of Sciences (embryo IPB).
Bogor Botanical Gardens along the way history has various names and nicknames, such as
* S’Lands Plantentuin
* Syokubutzuer (Japanese occupation era)
* Botanical Garden of Buitenzorg
* Botanical Garden of Indonesia
* Garden Gede
* Garden Jodoh